Thursday, 14 June 2012

S’Africa 2013: Amavubi Arrive for Eagles

up2805212-Super-Eagles.jpg - up2805212-Super-Eagles.jpg

The suspended Director-General of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Ms. Arunma Oteh, will know her fate within the next three weeks when the independent committee set up to investigate the allegations levelled against her over the mismanagement of funds for Project 50  is expected to complete its assignment.
The SEC board last Monday directed Oteh to proceed on compulsory leave following the recommendation of its Audit and Finance Committee which was directed to investigate the sources and utilisation of funds for Project 50.
Project 50 is a year-long programme organised by SEC to mark 50 years of capital market regulation in Nigeria.
According to the board, Oteh’s suspension was necessary to carry out an independent investigation on the allegations against her in line with good corporate governance practice, as remaining in her position as DG could have impeded the investigation.
Sources close to the commission said yesterday that the committee carrying out the investigation had been given three weeks to complete its assignment and put its report together.
However, it was learnt that considering the fact that the members of the board, whose tenure would have expired, will step down before the report is ready, the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister for the Economy, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, will be responsible for considering the report and for deciding Oteh’s fate.
THISDAY further learnt that the presidency was fully aware of the decision by the SEC board to suspend Oteh.
She was said to have protested her suspension through a petition to the presidency, where she alleged that she was being persecuted for political reasons.
But sources said such a petition might not help her because the presidency was aware of the report of the Audit and Financial Committee that had recommended her suspension.
“The only thing that can save her is if it turns out that the allegations pertaining to the misapplication of funds in respect of Project 50 are false. If you know how government works, you will understand that the board could not have suspended its CEO without the knowledge and approval of a higher authority,” a source said.
It was gathered that  the Audit and Financial Committee, chaired by Mr. Christopher Chukwu, who is a representative of  the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on the SEC board, had recommended that key actors in the management of Project 50 funds be  suspended for unimpeded investigation into how they managed the cash.
“Oteh admitted to the committee that she was the only key actor from SEC who was in charge of the management of the funds and other resources of the Project 50.
“Besides, her action contravenes Section 19 of the Investment and Securities Act, which stipulates that the commission shall maintain an account into which funds accruing from the Federal Government, penalties, fees, charges and administrative cost of proceedings, monetary gifts and contributions from other sources must be paid into.

Top Nigerian Celebrity Weddings To Watch Out For

Weddings….we all love to love them. The excitement, wistful stares, long lost relatives (all known and unknown) come together to make the experience an extremely stressful yet memorable one. The wedding experience is made even more glamorous when it is a celebrity wedding. In the last one year, there has been an influx of celebrity weddings, each one wow-ing us either with the theme or the clout gathered for the occasion. Thankfully, there are still more celebrity weddings to look out for and so we present to you, the top Nigerian celebrity weddings to look out for.
Tuface and Annie Macaulay at the premiere of 'I'll Take My Chances'....ironic isn't it?
Tuface and Annie Macaulay: This has got to be the most controversial yet sweetest wedding story. When Tuface started out with the plantashun boys, he had no money, no fame, no baby mamas but he had Annie. As he grew over the years, he acquired all the fame, money, kids and yet through all of this Annie was still there and even had a child for him. In a romantic move that surprised and wow-ed the entire populace, he proposed to Annie on Valentine’s day. Word out there is that they have legalized their wedding at a registry but we cant wait to see what the white wedding would look like. We are watching and waiting oh-so-patiently.
Funke and Beau at May D's Industry Nite
Funke Akindele and Kehinde Oloyede: Yes, I was as surprised as anyone when I found out about the wedding barely a week away. Thespian, producer, face of KLIN detergent and LIRS would be getting married soon. What makes this wedding very interesting is the fact that it stayed low key for so long only to pop up out of the blues. Apparently, she has been seeing Mr. Kehinde, a property mogul for a while and kept it under wraps; smart girl. Her introduction would be taking place on the 26th of May 2012 and the white wedding proper would be later in the year. We wish the couple all the happiness.
Kaffy and Beau at the christening of their baby
Kafayat ‘Kaffy’ Shafau and Josef Ameh: Nigeria’s no 1 dance queen and Guinness world record breaker is also on the list of to-be-weds. Her wedding is slated for the 2nd of June and according to her is going to be simple and elegant. She is marrying the father of her six month baby.
Naeto C and his beautiful wife at their traditional wedding
Naeto C and Nicole Chukwueke: He calls himself the first MC with an Msc. Well this Nigerian rapper is also getting married to his longtime girl friend, business woman and model, Nicole Chukwueke. The two have taken care of the introduction and engagement point and are pulling all the stops to ensure an amazing white wedding. Well, we cant wait.
Don't you just love 'em??? *swoon*
Ikechukwu and Sarah Ofili: Have you seen this dude’s chest??? Ok ok, back to the matter at hand. A while back, the airways were filled with news of Ikechukwu’s proposal to his girlfriend Sarah Ofili. The couple are yet to do anything (or maybe its been kept low key) but we are patient. Waiting to see wedding invitations from this couple who can only be described as delicious.
...and our dear dear Karen Igho
Karen Igho and ??? - Don’t ask me but I saw the ring but was sad when she came out to debunk the rumors. How I had such hopes…..
this pulse.com and their amebo, well, no be metalk am oo oo

Pasuma Secures Endorsement Deal With Regal Dry Gin


Only yesterday,top actress Omoni Oboli secured an endorsement deal with Venus range of s=kin care products and today Fuji artiste, Wasiu Alabi Pasuma has joined the league with a liquor deal with Regal Dry Gin. One of Nigeria’s biggest Fuji star, the artiste secured the  three year  deal, which requires him to represent the brand of dry gin in their adverts, functions and the like.
Though there has been no official confirmation, the deal is said to run into millions of naira. baa wasii, twuale, awon ti e ki e. what a deal.(imagine a rickross collabo)

The Headies 2012- Wizkid, M.I, 2face, Darey, Others Gear Up For Prize Giving Event!

The Headies
Nigeria’s biggest and most respected music awards, The Headies is back for the seventh year! Organizers of Hip Hop World Awards which debuted in 2006 this week announced “A countdown to the big day”- which officially kicks off THE HEADIES.
According to  Ayo Animashaun, plans are being made to officially handover last year’s prizes to the winners;
“On July 23, we will have a mini event to give out the car and plaques to last year’s winners, and then the following day, we will officially launch the countdown to the big day by announcing nominees, hosts, sponsors and other plans”
A total of 23 Plaques will be given to last year’s winners- 2face, Don Jazzy, Darey, Ice Prince, MI, Waje, DJ Tee, Modenine, Cabo Snoop, eLDee, Femi, Dr. Sid, Jah Bless and WizKid with Wizkid leaving with the biggest prize- a brand new Hyundai Sonata 2011.
Though yet to make the date of The Headies public, Hip Hop World Awards is already dangling a new theme “Step Into The Spotlight” before rising and established Nigerian acts whose materials  released between March 2011 and February 2012  pass the test.

HEADIES 2011 WINNERS

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Best album (solo or group) in year under review, that meets judges’ requirements of excellence (in realms as: songwriting, production, rendition and promotion) and acceptability (sales, popularity)
UNSTOPPABLE INT’L EDITION – 2FACE

ARTISTE OF THE YEAR
Most critically and commercially adjudged artiste in the year under review. Overall most successful artiste for the year under review
TUFACE

SONG OF THE YEAR
Most popular song from a single in the year under review. Decided by voting.
OLEKU – ICE PRINCE FT. BRYMO

RECORDING OF THE YEAR
Best single recording (On-air only or released) by artiste or group in year under review. Originality and production very essential
THE WAY YOU ARE – DAREY

PRODUCER OF THE YEAR
The individual responsible for producing the most acclaimed songs/album in the year under review. His CV for the year includes top-notch tracks and production credits no one can fault.
DON JAZZY – “OVER THE MOON” BY DR SID, MR. ENDOWED, POP SOMETHING

RECORDING OF THE YEAR
Best single recording (On-air only or released) by artiste or group in year under review. Originality and production very essential
THE WAY YOU ARE – DAREY

BEST MUSIC VIDEO (AWARD GOES TO DIRECTOR)
Best conceptualized, best edited, best picture, best directed and most exciting video in year under review as voted by fans and decided by the jury. 
DJ TEE – ENI DURO (OLAMIDE)

BEST R ‘N’ B SINGLE
Best R&B single in year under review (by single individual or group)
THE WAY YOU ARE – DAREY

BEST POP SINGLE
Best pop single in year under review (by single individual or group) 
POP SOMETHING – DR. SID

BEST R ‘N’ B/ POP ALBUM
Best R&B or pop album in year under review (by single individual or group)
UNSTOPPABLE INT’L EDITION – 2FACE

BEST RAP SINGLE
Best single released on-air recording of a rap song 
OLEKU – ICE PRINCE

LYRICIST ON THE ROLL
Rap Artiste with best lyrical depth and performance on a single song or album
MODENINE – RHYME TIGHT

BEST COLLABO
Best R&B, Pop or hip hop collaborative track (including cameos) in year under review
NUMBER ONE – M.I FT. FLAVOUR

BEST VOCAL PERFORMANCE (MALE)
Single male artiste with most outstanding vocal performance on a single song or album
FEMI – MONEY MONEY MONEY

BEST VOCAL PERFORMANCE (FEMALE)
Single female act with most outstanding vocal performance on a single song or album 
WAJE – FOR A MINUTE

BEST VOCAL PERFORMANCE (FEMALE)
Single female act with most outstanding vocal performance on a single song or album
WAJE – FOR A MINUTE

AFRICAN ARTIST OF THE YEAR
None Nigerian category
CABO SNOOP (ANGOLA) – WINDECK

music is it it truly the food of the soul. my people, well, nothing dey happen sha

Six Years After, Sosoliso Plane Crash Blamed on Power Failure

1011N.Sosoliso-air-crash.jpg - 1011N.Sosoliso-air-crash.jpg
Sosoliso air crash
Six years after the Sosoliso plane crash in Port Harcourt, killing over 100 passengers, most of them children, facts emerged yesterday that power failure at the Port Harcourt Airport was responsible for the accident.
Although the Federal Government is yet to make public the report of the panel that investigated the crash, the pioneer Commissioner and Chief Executive Officer of the Accident Investigation Bureau (AIB), Mr. Angus Ifeanyi Ozoka, who headed the investigative panel, said at the point of landing, the pilot lost sight of the runway because there was no diesel to power the generator for the runway lights.
Ozoka, who spoke with reporters in Abuja on how to improve safety in the aviation industry against the backdrop of the June 3 plane crash involving Dana Air, said: “From the way we concluded our report after several months of investigations, the aircraft was coming to land, it didn’t have the runway in sight.
“It couldn’t see the runway as it was raining very heavily.  The runway lights were not on because at the Port Harcourt Airport they were trying to save fuel.
“In the day time, they would switch off the generator, if there was no electricity and at night they would not switch on the generator except a pilot requested when he was approaching.
“So when the plane was at 8 nautical miles from the airport, it called and asked if it was raining, they told him no precipitation, they gave him the wind direction and speed, until the plane got to the decision altitude and went below it.”
He added that by the time the Sosoliso plane was approaching for landing, the wind direction suddenly changed dramatically, becoming heavier with associated wind shear activity; as such, the strength of the wind forced the plane to slam into the ground.
“The plane crashed on the grass side and disintegrated into a total wreckage site of 1.2 kilometres.
“First, the plane touched the ground, then it bounced into an exposed concrete drainage where the number two engine and staircase were dislodged in that concrete and started disintegrating into pieces, with total land wreckage of 1.2km. In that situation, it was difficult to fight a fire over a spread of 1.2km,” he said.
Ozoka said government through Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) should set strict conditions for all airline operators in the country to meet and those who cannot do so should be allowed to wind up.
According to him, government is not Father Christmas that operators should run to for bailouts, adding that anybody who wants to venture into the aviation industry should know that the industry is both capital and labour intensive.
He suggested that government’s 22-year-age limit for entry of aircraft into the country should be revisited as any aircraft above 20 years is presumed to be operating above the life cycle of that aircraft.
However, he said with good maintenance, some aircraft could still be kept airborne for over 25 years before they are retired.
Meanwhile, relatives of the Dana Air plane crash are still having trouble claiming the bodies of their loved ones at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH).
Some of the relations of the victims who were seen yesterday wailing and agonising over their inability to claim the bodies, accused LASUTH officials of playing pranks.
The hospital officials are insisting that it will not release more bodies until all DNA tests have been concluded and results released to ensure that no family is given the wrong body.
A woman was seen at the mortuary wailing as she lamented the endless bottlenecks that had prevented her from collecting the body of her relative. well, what can more can we say but na wa o for naija